I’m currently in the middle of reading Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings, and it is fast becoming one of my favorite fantasy books of all time. Brandon just blows my mind when it comes to world building and clever magic systems. And the artwork in this book is just plain phenomenal. I was fortunate to receive an ARC (photographed), but I didn’t cancel my pre-ordered hardcover. Still couldn’t be happier. I’m savoring the book knowing that the next one is not going to be out for quite some time.
For the blog, I figured it’s time that I should also chronicle my favorite books. I have been passionate about reading since my aunt gave me a copy of “Hardy Boys # 54: The Mysterious Caravan” in Third Grade. I’ve been nothing short of voracious, and very eclectic in my choices – from fantasies, mysteries, histories, dramas, romance, biographies, nonfiction, philosophy, science fiction, comic books, poetry, classics, etc.
So for lists, I have to gather them by category. It’s so easy for me to be scattershot and off-tangent.
I realize that I have been reading a lot of fantasy novels lately. Primarily because I’ve been having a really long commute during the past few months. And a bit of escapism from the daily grind of spreadsheets and documents is what I feel I need to keep my sanity intact.
So here’s my list of favorite recent fantasy novels:
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Coming in 2011 – A Wise Man’s Fear)
- The Warded Man and The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett (Coming in 2012 – The Daylight War)
- Elantris, Mistborn Trilogy and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Acacia and The Other Lands by David Anthony Durham
- Lamentation and Canticle by Ken Scholes (Soon to come – Antiphon)
- Dresden Files and Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Do check out my lists and reviews over at Goodreads. Lots of other books did not make the cut. If I find time, I will definitely blog detailed reviews of the above books.
So many books, so little time.